Saturday, January 11, 2014

Book Review: Torn


                                                       Today's review is on Torn by Christine Hughes

Truth be told, I had finished reading Torn about a week ago but haven't had the chance to write my review until today. I tried a few times earlier, but just couldn't get it done. Kind of what it was like for me to read the actual book. The first time I picked it up I was only able to read the first chapter. The second time I got as far as chapter three. But it was the third time that was the charm.

Once I set everything off to the side and informed my husband that he needed to pick up dinner, I sat in my favorite chair and read, and read, and read. I couldn't put the book down! Yes, it was a bit muddled in the beginning and the heroine was, well let's face it, she was all over the place with regards to her love life. First she loves James, then she lust's over Lucas, then she's in love with Ethan. See, all over the place.

At first I thought that perhaps Samantha was "torn" between the two "brothers" and was content to read another boring teen book where girl meets boy and boy meets girl, they start to fall in love, and then girl falls in love with boy’s brother/friend or another guy. That was and wasn't the case though. It wasn’t another boring teen book. Okay, there is a triangle, but not the one your thinking of.

Unknown to Samantha, she is the child of an Exiled Angel and a Fallen one. Her mother, the Fallen Angel, died shortly after Samantha was born, and her father the Exiled.  It was just her and her father, and Lucas and Ethan for a long time and everything was all fine and dandy, that is until the death of her father turns her life upside down.

Samantha begins to hear a taunting voice, Lucas and Ethan pack up and the three of them move to her dad's cabin, then the boys start to "train" her on how to protect herself. But for what? The voice keeps getting louder and she's desperate for answers. Answers she can only get from Lucas and Ethan.

Through the pages of Torn we learn that not only is Samantha torn with her feelings for Ethan, she is also torn between the Darkness of the Exiled and the Light of the Fallen within herself.


Oh, and that triangle? You won’t even see it coming.

I truly great addition to my library. I just hope Hughes remembers me when book 2 comes out!

4 of 5 stars
Available at Amazon



Book Description: via Amazon


TORN With the sudden, mysterious death of her father, Samantha discovers her life isn’t what it seems. Not only isn’t she the normal teenage girl she thought she was, Sam must now take her father’s place in the fight between two groups of fallen angels, the Faithful and the Exiled, in a race to save humanity. In addition to dealing with a devastating betrayal—and having feelings for someone she’s forbidden to love—Sam must also fight the growing darkness within her as she struggles to make a choice between fighting alongside the Faithful or succumbing to the temptation of the Exiled. Both sides require sacrifices Sam isn’t sure she can make.

1 comment: