Friday, December 30, 2011

Book Review: Last Breath

                                          
 
                                                    Today's review is on Last Breath by Rachel Caine

Last Breath is the 11th installment in Caine's Morganville Vampires series, and I don't know if it is just that the story has lost its edge or if it is just me. Usually I pick up the recent book in the series and don't put it down until I'm done, but with this one I just didn't feel the pull.

We all know that in the last book Michael and Eve became engaged. In Last Breath they are faced with opposition from both the humans as well as the vampires who don't think that the two "races" should intermarry. If that isn't enough, there is something strange happening in Morganville. Vampires are going missing, including Oliver.

In Morganville things have to go from bad to worse, especially around Claire and her friends. When this new threat against the vampires realizes that Claire is getting to close to the truth she becomes the ultimate victim leaving Michael, Eve, and Shane to trust Myrnin to save her.

When Michael then goes missing, it's a whole different ballgame. The fate of Morganville's residents both human and vampire is at stake and it is up to Claire, Eve, Shane, Amelie, and Myrnin to save everyone. But this is a battle against the most powerful adversary they have ever come up against and one not easily thwarted.

Last Breath is written from many perspectives, much like the last book. I'm not sure about how I feel about that yet. It does make for a more rounded view of what is happening, but sometimes I found myself thinking, "blah, blah, blah. Just get on with it. I want to hear ??'s view again." However that may just be me.

My favorite thing about Last Breath was the amount of emotion we see from Myrnin. We see how much Claire really means to him and to what lengths he would go to for her. He's not just the crazy scientist, he is a man with a heart, even if it doesn't beat anymore.

3 of 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment