Monday, July 1, 2013

Book Review: Stealing Breath

           Today's review is on Stealing Breath by Joanne Brothwell

Sometimes when I open a book and see that it's single spaced I tend to be leary. I automatically think that it will take me forever to read, but Stealing Breath has changed my outlook. Though a little slow in the beginning, it does pick up and grabs your heartstrings.

The beginning of the story doesn't really work for me though. I don't really know who Sarah Ross is and why she is looking for a missing child. As it is, I felt that I was thrown in the middle of something. It would have been better if the book started with the child and eased into Sarah looking for her.

I really enjoy books that incorporate the American Indian beliefs. The mystical aspect of their medicine and the healing that occurs in the Potlatch. Though Brothwell weaves these tings seamlessly into Stealing Breath, I would have liked more background information on the "tribe".

I really liked the spark; no pun intended, between Sarah and Evan, and to be honest, that is what kept me reading. I didn't like the repetitive asking "what just happened", but besides that, I did love the way they actually fell in love.

I have read many books that have Skinwalkers as both good and evil; my favorite being Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson, but the evilness of Brothwell's had me intrigued throughout the entire book. The danger was palpable for me.

There were some editing mistakes, but the danger and excitement along with the crazy twists kind of made up for it. Though not an instant best seller, I would actually grab this off of the shelf of any bookstore and give it a try. In fact, I'm actually going to grab the second book today.

3 of 5 stars
Available at Amazon


Book Description: via Amazon

Deep in the backwoods of North Dakota, twenty-one year old Sarah Ross is searching for a missing child when she is attacked by a glowing-eyed, transparent... creature. Sarah survives, destroying the monster by using mysterious abilities she didn't even know she had. Bloody and bruised, Sarah flees the scene and runs directly into Evan Valente, a handsome, charismatic stranger who helps her back to safety. But what is Evan doing out in the forest at five in the morning? Turning to a healer, Sarah is shocked to learn her eyes bear the mark of the Indigo Child-an evolved human with the ability to feel the emotions of others. But her indigo aura also makes her an easy target for those who wish to consume her powerful essence. Soon, Sarah is falling deeply in love with Evan and wants nothing more than to follow her heart and trust that he is the man he says he is. But she can't ignore the lingering feeling that Evan is hiding a terrible secret. The deeper she digs, the more danger she faces, leading her on a course that will force her to face the darkest, innermost parts of her soul.


0 comments:

Post a Comment