Thursday, May 30, 2013

Book Review: Phantams

                   Today's review is on Phantasms by A. Kale

It is always very difficult to write a review on a book that needs some work. Phantasms is just one of them.

Though Kale does create a different and wonderful world for his characters, it doesn't leave the reader much time to get to know the major players. I felt as though they were just thrown at me without any rhyme or reason. I do however realize that perhaps the first book in the series provided that time, but I have not read the first book.

In any series, it is always good to go back a bit and tell the reader who the major players are again and what they want to achieve. What is their end goal.

As I was reading along, I found that the use of the subchapters was a bit confusing. I did however love the danger aspect in each of the what I will call short stories. The battle between good and evil, even though at times it was difficult to decipher who was on each side of that divide.

I haven't had the chance to read any of the other works by Kale so I don't know if the way this book is written is indicative of the writing style in all books that Kale has written. I just know that I didn't much care for it.

2 of 5 stars
Available at Amazon



Book Description: via Amazon

The greatest prison in the universe, the one that houses the world's most evil creatures - including Dracula himself - is under attack, and the creatures of the night, the phantasms are about to escape, into our world.

Now, a band of warriors with supernatural powers, led by an ageing occult expert, have to travel through worlds and time to reach The Castle that holds the key to stopping the evil, before it reaches our world. But The Castle is protected by The Red Death, the mythic figure that inspired Edgar Allan Poe's famous short story. And so the warriors have to find a way to defeat The Red Death, enter the castle and solve the mystery, before the world comes to an end!

Featuring characters from Bram Stoker's Dracula and the stories of Edgar Allan Poe, PHANTASMS is an epic tale of "Good Versus Evil" and a must-read for fans of the genre.

This is the second book in "The Crofton Cycle", a series of loosely connected books which feature recurring characters and themes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment