Monday, May 9, 2011

Book Review: Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits

Today's review is on Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits by: Cate Gardner

I was sent a friendly challenge by a friend of mine to read this book and review it "if you dare".
So, M.B. here goes.


I would have to say that this was one, if not THE strangest collection of stories that I have yet to come upon.  After reading just the first; Dandelion Fluff, I knew that I had no idea what I had gotten myself into by accepting my friends challenge. 

First off, as I usually read novels, it was a bit difficult for me to stay motivated to keep reading.  Just as I was getting into the story it seemed to end.  This however is no reflection on the writer.  In fact the writing is fantastic.  Each story has a "creature, feature"; (a tv series popular in the 70's), feel to it.  That said, many of those shows gave me the creeps, not to mention nightmares.

I would have to agree with Nathaniel Lambert; the author of the introduction, who likens this collection to a sort of "Wonderland fable" in which Alice was shoved "face-first through the looking glass", and then had to describe what she saw.  However, I would like to add that I think everyone else in Wonderland, as well as perhaps Alice, may have been on Crack!

At the very least I have learned two things.  One:  I need to watch a happy Disney movie tonight before I go to bed.  Two:  Question book recommendation from M.B.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars just for creeping me out so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment