Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: Chasing The Cyclone

Today's review is on Chasing The Cyclone: A Father's Unending Love For His Son by Peter Thomas

In all of my reading over the past two years I have never come across a more poignant book than Chasing The Cyclone. There were times where I had to stop reading and shake my head at the horrible things that were happening to the young child in this story, and times where I was brought to sopping tears.

It is apparent through the exceptional detail and knowledge of the various laws pertaining to child abduction that the author has had personal experience dealing with this. And as I continued to read this amazing book, I felt my heart go out to him and the many other "Chasing Parents" that are out there.

Paul Francesco is the father of seven-year-old Alex. Though Paul has faced cancer and has survived, nothing had prepared him for the struggle he would undergo at the hands of his ex-wife D.

Unknown to Paul, D takes Alex to her home country of Canada and begins court proceedings to prevent Paul from having any contact with their son. She is able to weave what seems to be a unparalleled web of lies and false accusations against him. Thankfully however, Paul has the help and support of his friends.

When D then gets permission to take Alex to New Zealand to live with her new "fiance", Paul becomes even more frightened that he may never again be a part of his son's life. And though he is doing everything possible in his power to make sure that that doesn't in fact happen; even flying out there and spending a "covert" day of soccer with him, he is hit with the worst possible news he could ever hear. Those working for him and keeping watch over D, her so called fiance, and Alex, inform Paul that they have all gone missing.

With his niece in the hospital suffering from cancer, his business affairs at a standstill, and his funds almost fully depleted, Paul still does not give up his search for the son he loves so deeply.

Though most of Chasing The Cyclone is fast paced, I did find that the parts about Paul's business dealings weren't all that necessary to keep me reading. And though there were some editing misses, I just can not deduct any points. Yes, it is that good of a book, and I know that this is one that will stay with me for a very long time.

A day does not go by where I do not tell both of my children that I love them, now; after reading Chasing The Cyclone, I have another reason to tell them. I, as I am sure the author feels, am very blessed to have my children in my life. I don't know what I would do without them.

5 of 5 stars
Available at Amazon

0 comments:

Post a Comment