Monday, April 15, 2013

Book Review: The Death of Me

            Today's review is on The Death of Me by Denise Grover Swank

The Death of Me is a short account of the death of Denise's husband Darrell and how she has dealt with it over the now six years.

I have read all of Denise's books, and have the wonderful privilege of calling her my friend, a title I do not give out easily. And though I am aware of what she has gone through, I have never felt so close to her or have felt so saddened and helpless.

I must confess that I already knew that this would be a cathartic exercise for Denise; as I have often suggested my clients to this exact exercise after the loss of a loved on, but I didn't know that I would be touched so much. Tears pouring down my face at the pain Denise had suffered, and the pain that Darrell as a doctor himself must have felt as well.

As I read about Darrell's stay in the hospital following his crash and the things that my friend had gone through, I realized how very much I am blessed with my own spouse. We all have our hard times, and perhaps indiscretions, and of course there are the arguments, but in the end nothing can prepare you for the loss of your soulmate.

The Death of Me is inspirational. It's thought provoking, and heartwarming. A must read for anyone in a relationship. Believe me, you will never take your partner for granted ever again.

Thank you Denise for reminding us all that life is not only precious, but it could end at any moment.

5+ of 5 Stars
Available at Amazon

Book Description: via Amazon


***This is a 50 page piece.***

On January 29, 2006, Denise Grover Swank’s life changed forever.

On that afternoon, her husband of ten years crash-landed his malfunctioning single-engine plane in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Dr. Darrell Swank suffered multiple fractures, and third degree burns over sixty percent of his body when the gas tank exploded as he crawled away from the wreckage.

Over the next five weeks, she struggled to be a mother to their children while she kept a near round-the-clock vigil at the hospital. Darrell’s survival was questionable from one day to the next, and even if he survived, would he be the same man he was before the crash? Did his fate depend on this test of her faith?

The Death of Me is the true story of a wife and mother living day to day through a fog of shock and unimaginable agony. And, alone in the aftermath, fumbling for some way to not only survive, but to thrive.

It is a story of pain, of release, of forgiveness. And of healing, resilience, and rebirth.

It is a story of a writer finding her voice.

1 comment: