Monday, September 2, 2013

Book Review: Rewrite Redemption

                                                  Today's review is on Rewrite Redemption by J.H. Walker

I really don't know what to say about this book. I loved the concept, I couldn't help but like A.J., and who wouldn't fall for Constantine? But is that enough for a 5 star rating? In my opinion that's a big NO.

I read the first few chapters but just couldn't get into it so I put it down for a few days to contemplate whether or not I wanted to even finish it. Before diving in again I decided to check out what other readers thoughts were on it. I took quick glance at Amazon and Goodreads and found many 5 star reviews so I reluctantly picked the book back up and began struggling through it once again.

First off, there were many mistakes throughout the text. "If" was written instead of "It", sometimes the "same same" words were used right next to each other, and I couldn't help but to be a bit confused as to who's point of view I was reading from for quite a few chapters. (Most authors use the character's name instead of the different pictures Walker used, at least in the beginning few chapters). Most of all though was that there was no real substance to the story until around chapter 45. Then it sucked for a few more chapters and picked up again in chapter 51 when the hero and the heroine were running for their lives. Then it was just "okay" through to the end. I mean the "happily ever after" was even a bit blah.

Again, I loved the concept but really, the matrix reference? Was Walker watching The Matrix movie prior to writing this? And then there are the aliens. I felt like I was reading a poor copy of The Host or The Body Snachers. And I have to tell you that contrary to what you read in this book, your average teenager is not so squeaky clean, especially around each other. They do swear from time to time, and they don't think about things much before acting on them. Including the opposite sex.

All the pieces were there. Sad girl, hot stud boy, the major obstacle to overcome. It's just that the way it all played out needs some work. I suppose though that, as a first run, Rewrite Redemption is a good start. But Walker still has a bit of a long road ahead.

2.5 of 5 stars
Available at Amazon



Book Description: via Amazon

She’s sixteen. He’s seventeen. They don’t know each other…at least not yet.

She has a secret and her whole life revolves around keeping it. Every few months and with little warning, she simply disappears, pulled into the past for hours or even days. She’s terrified it will happen in front of someone, changing her life forever. So far, the only witnesses have been her parents, and that didn’t end well. She has no control over it and no idea why it happens to her.

She wants answers.

He has answers—at least he understands what’s going on. He has a secret, too. He’s part of an organization that goes back in time to rewrite reality. But he also has a problem. He broke the organization’s number-one rule by altering his own timeline. As punishment, he’s been blocked from time travel, which is most unfortunate. Because the changes he made to his timeline, accidentally resulted in disaster for his family. A disaster he’s now prevented from repairing. No one can travel beneath the organization’s radar except a Shadow. But they’re rare, so rare he’s never even met one.

Then he moves to her town.

0 comments:

Post a Comment