Saturday, October 15, 2011

Book Review: Ink

Today's review is on Ink by S. J. Davis

Ink is the only book by Davis that I have read, and though I found it enjoyable I also found it to be a bit muddled and to short.

While driving her daughter to school one morning, Sparrow and her mother are the victim's of a terrible car accident.  Knowing that she is about to die her mother leaves her with one last message.  “It’s a good day to die." She tells Sparrow, "but as you grieve for me, listen for the voices. Then, you must get the ink.”

Guilt ridden, she begins cutting herself.  She is able to keep this hidden until Layne finds out.  Though they become closer as a couple, Sparrow continues to hear voices and begins to see Mateo, her spirit guide. 

Not really knowing what is going on with her life, Sparrow puts her trust in Mateo and believes him when he tells her that there is someone who wants the power of the tattoo ink.  The ink that Sparrow's own mother had used for her own tattoo.  The ink that holds the power of the Blackfoot.

I don't feel that the story flows well.  Once you start to get into each chapter it's already done and you jump to something else.  I would also have liked a little more book period.  The story is just to short.  With the Indian aspect alone, this could have been a good 300 page book rather than an 80 page book.  To be honest, I feel a bit let down.  The little summary sounded so good that I guess I was expecting a bit more than what I got, and for that I have to lower my rating accordingly.  Who knows, perhaps others will rave about how much they love this book, but for me it needs some work.

2 of 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment