Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Book Review: Promise

Today's review is on the book Promise by: Kristie Cook

Promise is the first book in Cook's Soul Savers series.  As I have read other books by Cook, I was looking forward to excellence; however, I found Promise to be average.  If I had to give it a letter grade, it would be a C.

The story is centered on the lives of Alexis Ames, a 19 year old girl with the strange ability to heal herself.  With this, she and her mother are forced to move when others notice this ability or when they begin to notice that Alexis' mother doesn't seem to age.

When Alexis and her mother move to Florida and Alexis begins college things seem to get better for her.  She even finds a handsome boyfriend in Tristan Knight.  As Alexis struggles with whether or not to tell Tristan about her strange ability she finds that he himself has strange abilities too.  You see, Tristan was created to destroy Alexis and the others like her, but he won't because he left that life behind him and now he is hopelessly in love with her too.  This relationship is the literal match made in Heaven and Hell.

With the Daemoni; Tristan's creators; out to either get Tristan back or destroy Alexis things get a little difficult for the couple, but they seem to hang on.  That is until Tristan vanishes.

Many times in this book I found myself trying to figure out if Cook's audience is YA or adults. The parts where things heat up between Alexis & Tristan in particular.  I guess I may never know.

3 out of 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment